Tonight, I finally started the delicate processus of dyeing Zelda’s skirt. It’s a new technique for me: I knew how to dye fabrics but not how to create multicolor degrade dye. Zelda’s skirt goes from light powder rose to a more intense fuchsia color in the bottom.
Choosing the materials was easy but finding the good technics took longer. I finally used a great tutorial from Sikay Cosplay.
I filled several bottles with hot salted water (40 degrees celcius) and added a little bit of the dye. I shook the bottle and used a little bit of fabric to test the color. I let the fabric in the bottle for some seconds before rinsing it.
This helped me to find the exact quantity of dye I had to use. I was surprised by how little I used: 1/2 sugar spoon for the powder rose color, 1.5 for the middle nuance, and 2 to 3 sugar spoons for the fuchsia ends.
I filled a recipient with the first mix and put the whole skirt in it. I slowly put the top fabric out of the dyed watter. When only the middle was left, I slowly added the second bottle. I kept on slowly putting out the skirt. When only the skirt bottom was left, I added the last bottle. I let the bottom of the fabric in this mix for 30 minutes before rinsing it and washing it.
The skirt isn’t dried yet but I’m so far pretty happy with the result. It was quite easy but some precautions must be followed. Protective gloves and an aprons are a must. The salt dose is written in the dye packet. You also have to be careful with your work space and your tools if you don’t wanna end with dyed stains everywhere.